Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Deakin Students Find It Hard

Read on the local newspaper in Box Hil today about how Deakin University students are finding it hard to get accommodations around their campus.


This kinda took me by surprise as I read it. Sure, we have read about homeless students around the City that got evicted by Melb Uni not too long ago, and how students are cramping themselves into a house or even a room.

As far as I know, our office in Hawthorn has plenty of new properties available in the Burwood areas. Just a rough search on SHA's website shows a total of 73 apartments available from the Hawthorn office.

73 is not a lot but it's also not too little. However, I don't think the number of homeless students are even more than 5? If I'm not mistaken, the properties are going slowly there, not as fast as the City's properties.

A lot of time it's the students expectation of what to pay for the rent. A lot of them are still expecting $100 or $150pw for an accommodation. For house sharing, sure you can get that however for your own fully furnished self contained apartments, you'll be looking above the $200pw mark in that area. You get what you pay for, basically.

Education agents or information given by the Universities also play an important in educating or preparing the students' expectation of living costs in Melbourne.

On a side note, today a girl complained against me claiming I give her bad service. Well, here's the story in short form:
  1. She sent in application but incomplete (missing a passport copy)

  2. I sent her an email requesting for a copy to be sent to me ASAP.

  3. It took her a few days before she finally scanned a copy to me.

  4. Great, but all apartments have been leased as I've a lot more complete applications waiting to be processed.

  5. Told her the bad news, she claimed I'm doing a crap job for not holding an apartment for her.

  6. Someone cancelled her application, informed her of an availability of an apartment on the first floor (not ground). It's a bigger size apartment at the same rent she's asking for.

  7. She didn't want to accept and demanded I give her something on level 11 or 12.

  8. Told her, I have nothing else and I'm giving her priority for the one in level 1. She rejected and claimed I've done a lousy service for her. Wrote bad things, etc
Now, please be a judge of that, is that a bad service???

I've repeatedly told people through my blog, in office, in person, through my colleagues to put in complete applications. No one in SHA will process any incomplete applications.

However, people seems to think they're the VIP. They can do whatever they like and we are to follow or suit their preference. The "customer is always right" mentality. I really hate that 3rd world country mentality.

Well, luckily she didn't accept my offer and don't even think for a single second she'll be moving into MiCasa8. Phewwww~~~!!!!

The good news is, one of my tenant just said I'm the best agent she ever met! LOL!

Gotta admit my service is not at my best right now due to the number of people I've to go through daily. That statement just came at the right time to encourage me to give better services to every students. :)

No comments: