Monday, October 6, 2008

Post-Korea Days

Now that I'm back, the question is what's next? A lot of people have asked me this question, "What are you going to do to help the church? What are you planning next?"

A lot has asked me to share what I've learned or gained from the Evangelism Experience trip. Sure, I would like to share it to all of you. How to do it? By blogging I supposed! I can't really go and talk to everyone telling them what I've learned yeah? However, if you asked me, sure I'll be more than happy to share it with you all.

Just to summarize everything I've learned in a nutshell....
  1. We need to be filled by the Holy Spirit
  2. We need to seek forgiveness first before inviting the Holy Spirit
  3. The spirit of prayer must not die, Holy Spirit will guide you on how to pray
  4. Pray your heart out! Don't just mumble or keep it in silence (only dead people pray in silence)
  5. Call out to the lord (Jer 33:3)
  6. We need to choose our pastors & leaders carefully. In their case, their pastor has probation period. To be an elder (our LCEC equivalent), you need to be active and adhere to bible teaching for more than 12 years!
  7. Once a leader, forever a leader
  8. Mission/Evangelism works are a must
  9. Small groups are core foundation & need to be managed properly
  10. Trusts must exists elders (LCEC) & pastors
  11. Thirst & hunger for God doesn't just lasts for 15 minutes
  12. Intercedes for others
  13. Only proceed when God's message is clear to you. God speaks through others or events
  14. Need to have an hierarchical ladder in the Christian life
  15. 1/10 tithing is a must
  16. Hospitality is a must
  17. We need to realize & understand the Holy Spirit more
I'm sure there're much more. Those are the ones I can remember on top of my head. If you need examples, just let me know.

In Korean churches, the numbers of people attending the dawn prayer meeting at 5am is not just 10,30, 100 or 500. There're usually more than thousands! A lot of misconception that the dawn prayer meeting is only for those women who are housewives who has nothing else better to do, who has all the time in the world to attend those prayer meeting then go back to sleep later! How wrong. The attendance are made up from youths, school children, adults, elders, etc. They come at 5am in the morning, finish around 6, then rush in bad traffic go get to their work place or school on time.

We can easily feel their sense of urgency and deep longing for God as soon as we step into the main sanctuary. How about our church? Can we feel the same? I dare not to say so.

What's missing in ours compared to theirs? The missing link could be the feeling of experiencing God. Most of us NEVER felt or experience God's presence. How many of us actually felt that the Holy Spirit is in us doing His works? Sometimes we may think like we felt so, but is it really so? That could be the Key!

So how can we experience God? How can we invite the Holy Spirit to empower us again? Some will say, let's pray or skipping a meal or two (fasting). Will it really work? Maybe Methodism has been trying too hard to figure out a formula to experience God. It could be just as simple as admitting our sins & repent! When we repent& admit our sins, do we really? In Korea, I truly felt the repentance of the people there. Not from where I come from, at least that's how I felt it.

Hopefully I can share more but it's always not as effective as seeing it yourselves.

So, you guys now know what I'll be doing next now, I hope. We'll start from our Friday group. If you would like to experience it, feel free to let me know. Hopefully, we can make a difference.

Though changes will be unlikely in December, next year's future would be decided in less than 2 weeks and morale an all time low. Things will be hard & tough, but it's not the right time to give up.We could be fighting until we are all dried up again. What's worst, we are fighting among ourselves. Satan's obviously the victor here by stirring up confusions, accusations and gossips. When will we learn to compromise and listen to one another? Note that it's a 2- way communication I'm talking about here, not just one sided. Without this, we won't be able to go far.

No comments: