Thursday, January 29, 2009

It's Hot!

This week has been hell for Victoria. The hottest week in over 100+ years! With the mercury topping 40+ Celsius for a few consecutive days! Tomorrow is another expected 43 Celsius! I've posted about this in my previous blog entry too

Just check the forecast for the week ahead, the lowest expected temperature is 31 Celsius! And worse of all, I don't see any rain coming!

How well is Melbournians coping with this historical moments? Not very well.
  • Hundreds and hundreds of public transport cancellations. Sources
  • Statewide blackouts affecting over 100,000 homes & businesses! Sources
  • Computer servers failing due to heat
  • Water storage drops even more
I think all the working A/C in Victoria is running at near full speed at the moment, which also means bad news for the electricity company as this will cause the generator to overload. But what else can we do? We can hardly survive! Pity the elderly now~

The heat in my house (upstairs) is unbearable! I walked upstairs to change cloth just now, and I can feel the heat piercing through my skins and the dry air just dries my lungs out! Even the cold tap water feels warm! Hard to believe eh?

What can we do to minimise the impact on us at the moment? Here're some suggestions:
  • Drink plenty of water, doesn't matter if you need to piss every 10 minutes!
  • Stay indoors with A/C, like shopping centres, cinemas
  • Stay calm, getting impatience increases "heat"
  • Avoid rigorous exercise
  • Avoid smoking
  • Shut your house into total darkness
Guess we still have to suffer for another week! For those who hasn't come back to Melbourne, lucky you!!!

No comments: