Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Retrenchments & Churches

1 in 10 people worldwide are jobless according to the latest sources.

Now, it's a very serious thing. Just go to Swanston street now, and look around you. There might be 50 of more people unemployed!!

The question pondering on my mind is, what are churches doing about it?

Are we providing any assistance in terms of physical, financial or emotional support for those who are affected? What're the churches' role in such crisis?

Apart from saying, we'll be praying for you to get another job soon, what can do we practically to cushion the impact of retrenchments?

As for myself, I've known 2 friends of mine who has been retrenched. One of them recently purchased a house and now has a loan to worry about. Apart from that, I have numerous friends who are still actively looking for jobs.

I can't do much as I have limited resources myself. I'm trying to introduce them to companies where I heard are looking to hire staffs, encouraging them to take up short courses to further polish their skills, etc. This is on individual basis only.

As a church, we could have the power to do more but have we exercised our strength to?

Churches must not distant itself from the world when crisis has hit and then come back to parade loudly for everyone to come to Christ when things are going smoothly. We must get rid of this hypocritical actions.

I'm not saying NONE of the churches are doing anything. I know some are and I thank God for that. However, in general, churches need to step, know their roles and contribute back to the society!

In some countries, governments and political parties have stepped up their effort in assisting those affected. When & how will God's people step up?

No comments: