Thursday, April 30, 2009

Superficial Honesty

Once again, reading the Purpose Driven Life book has has reminded me a lot on the basics of a Christian life. Today, reading day 19 is not an exception either.

It basically talks about how to cultivate a community lifestyle in the church. One of the sentences that caught my attention is:

Many church fellowships or small groups remain superficial because they're afraid of conflict.

How true is that? :)

Many just hope they can sweep the dusts under the carpet and hopes that no one remembers it. Clearly, that's not the right way forward.

I myself for one have been rather superficial lately and guilty of the above statement. Even though I knew somethings aren't going right or smoothly, I just kept quiet. Well, most of you who had the opportunity to be in discussions or meetings with me around would notice that I'm not as talking as much as before.

Perhaps influenced by others who told me to keep quiet and avoid conflicts? Because truth hurts! :P

In PDL, we are told to be courteous when speaking out to others. Although I speak softly and most people can hardly hears me, I can sound very authoritative if I have to. Sometimes, people get offended or misunderstood my intentions. So I guess that's a lesson for me to learn.

It also talks about being humble. Being humble doesn't mean act stupid or look down on yourself, be clear about that. Rather being humble is about putting others' interests ahead of ourselves. So they focused on serving others, not boasting to gain credits.

Another lesson for me, which I believe I'm doing or trying to do. Just put my effort in leading a cell group that has been entrusted to me. Been a while since I last lead a group.

As for other stuffs, I was trying not to get involved or know about it. Unfortunately, my heart still itches for it sometimes. I always felt it's a pity things are the way they are and wanted to make them right. Oh well, I guess another lesson I must learn is..............don't think you're smarter than others....LOL. Have faith in your brothers & sisters! :P

So many lessons for a day's topic...

No comments: